Did you have a dream career when you were young? If you did, what happened to that dream?
According to a Flex Jobs Survey, only 10% of adults work in their childhood dream career.
How have your dreams and career aspirations changed over the years and where are you now?
- Are you satisfied?
- Do you wake up each morning with a spring in your step, looking forward to all you will accomplish professionally?
- Are you eager to work with your team, in person or remotely?
- Do you admire and/or respect your manager?
- Does your physical work environment make you feel energised and inspired?
Over the past 20 years as a career coach, almost all the clients I’ve worked with have come to me because they have said, ‘No’ to most of those questions above.
And most of them have come to me not because they decided to do something about that situation of their own volition, but because they went through redundancy or had lost their job and had to get professional support.
When I ask how they felt about the redundancy, many have said they’d been unhappy for years however didn’t do anything about it as they were afraid to make a change.
Don’t you think life is too short to be unhappy? Or to feel unfulfilled?
Life is too short to live with regrets
Are you going to wait until you are pushed away or are you going to take action and gain control of your career, safeguard your future and create the career you desire? There is no time better than the present to start creating the life and career you know you deserve.
Flex Jobs conducted a survey between July and August 2021 and asked over 4,600 workers about their careers and what they want from a job. While many people stepped away from the paid workforce due to the pandemic, a majority are ready to return, but have decided they may not return to the same career.
Here are the TOP THREE REASONS people want to change careers:
- Better work-life balance (56%)
- Higher pay (50%)
- More meaningful or fulfilling career (49%)
Other reasons a career change is desired according to this survey are:
- To expand their professional skill set (43%)
- Lack of advancement or growth opportunities in their current career (27%)
- Approaching retirement and seeking something different as a “second act” (19%)
- To pursue a passion or hobby (17%)
- Their current career has never been a good fit (12%)
- Wanting to turn a side hustle into a full-time career (10%)
- They’ve completed the necessary training or education (9%)
So what have you been thinking this year? What does your dream career look like? It’s lovely to dream, but it’s even better to set exciting goals that make your heart race a bit and work towards achieving them.
“You are never too old to set another goal, or to dream a new dream.” – C.S. Lewis
What goals will you set that will make your heart sing this year? Please share your goals in the comments below – putting them in writing will help you to COMMIT to taking action!
Do you need career clarity to make the right choices? You will find that getting professional support will fast track the process, and accountability support will ensure that you make things happen.
The Careers Academy is opening its doors in mid-October for new members. There are 3 attractive membership options to choose from:
3 months of support for Job Seekers, 3 months of support for Career Growth, and a full 12 months of Career Development support to progress in your career.
Members have access to specific online career transition, career development and personal branding programs, one-on-one coaching, group coaching calls as well as on-demand webinars, career resources, exercises and templates and an accountability group to keep you on track. I have spent months creating valuable support options for you and I can’t wait to show you more in The Careers Academy!
Get on the waitlist to be notified when doors open for membership